KDE issues after recent portupgrade

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Sun Jan 23 02:22:57 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:59, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> >From the /usr/ports/UPDATING entry:
>
> 20040313:
>   AFFECTS: users of textproc/expat2
>   AUTHOR: marcus at FreeBSD.org
>
>   Users of expat2 (and its many dependencies) should do the following to
>   properly update expat2 and all of its dependencies:
>
>   portupgrade -rf textproc/expat2
>
> I did the mentioned portupgrade above and a *lot* of packages were
> reinstalled, among those KDE.  I'm not sure in retrospect that I needed
> to do this as I only installed FreeBSD on this box a couple of months
> ago.  Anyway, since the upgrade Konqueror crashes when started in a
> directory (core dumps) as a file browser, KDE notifications no longer
> work (although sound from Gnome apps *do* work -> I have
> gnome-session-daemon start when I log into KDE) and k3b won't start any
> longer for starters.
>
> What would be the best way to try an rectify this?  Reinstall kde from
> scratch with a 'portupgrade -rf /usr/ports/X11/kde3' or something else
> entirely?
>
> All the aforementioned apps were working prior to the portupgrade
> command mentioned in UPDATING.

You could try removing the kde packages & install packages instead - the
FreeBSD-KDE people seem to suggest that's the prefered method for KDE.

See http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/index.html for the correct PACKAGESITE
setting to use with portupgrade.

Having said that, the latest ports have some more recent updates, so
kdenetwork & one or two others will still need to be compliled from ports to
get you fully up to date.

I've found that method to work well for me & it saves a hell of a lot of
compilation time!

Cheers,
--
Ian