uscanner problem with HP Scanjet 3400C

Chris Hodgins chodgins at cis.strath.ac.uk
Sat Jan 22 03:36:47 PST 2005

Hi,

I am trying to get my HP ScanJet 3400C scanner to work with FreeBSD 5.3.
  Whenever I plug it into the usb port on my laptop I get in dmesg:

uscanner0: Hewlett Packard ScanJet 3400cse, rev 1.00/0.00, addr 2
uscanner0: setting config no failed
device_attach: uscanner0 attach returned 6
uhub0: port 1, set config at addr 2 failed
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1

Naturally after that sane can't find it.  This is a device that is fully
supported now with Sane and one that uscanner claims to support.  I am
happy to do any testing required to get this to work.

This problem seems to have been around for a while now and I have found
a few unanswered threads about it on google.

Thanks for your help.
Chris Hodgins

# uname -a
FreeBSD paranoia 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #1: Fri Dec  3 18:15:16
GMT 2004     root at paranoia:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/paranoia  i386