options PREEMPTION: system failure issue?

Jay jay at meangrape.com
Fri Jan 21 14:08:05 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:59:26PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Have they performance penalties, stability issues in FreeBSD 5.3
> (especially SMP
> environment but also in UP environment)?

I would bet a month's salary that they have performance penalties.
There's a lot of overhead associated with most of the "for debugging"
options in the kernel.

If you don't know why you need one of those options, you probably don't
need them.  (Now, if you're running -CURRENT, it's a different story,
but if you're running -CURRENT, you should know if you need them).

--
Jay.