ftp/fetch can not connect to ftp sites.

laffer1 laffer1 at mail.foolishgames.com
Fri Jan 21 12:44:18 PST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> It sounds like you have a new firewall (intentionally or not) in the
> form of your cable "modem."  Why do you have the portrange set low?
> The fact that you apparently have similar problems under other
> operating systems may indicate that FreeBSD can't actually solve this
> for you.  If your cable modem is doing firewalling (or, even more
> insidious, NAT) without your knowledge, then you will need to
> understand just how it is configured before you can make any progress
> at all.
>
> --
> Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area
> 		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

Thanks for the reply!  I set the port range low because i was following an
ipfw tutorial when i set it up. I probably should change that :)

Other operating systems work fine actually.  I found the problem last
night.  I had changed the /etc/services file a few months ago to try to
get a friend to connect to the ftp server because he was behind a weird
firewall.  I forgot about it. So by default fetch and ftp (cli) would use
port 9000 instead of port 21.  I feel a bit stupid on this one!  I didn't
realize that fetch and ftp used the value from /etc/services.  After
fixing that I was able to update some ports.

Luke