ntpd problems since upgrading to 5.3 - found the problem!

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Fri Jan 21 05:46:37 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:54, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Ian Moore <imoore at picknowl.com.au> writes:
> > I've just realised I'm not running a name server at all on my 5.3 system.
> > I have 4.9 installed on this computer too & I'd set up the caching server
> > on it, I guess I forgot that step when I installed 5.3.
> > I'll set it up & see that makes any difference.
> Make sure to switch to using domain names that aren't in use by other
> people...
> [A common convention is to use ".lan" or ".local" as the top-level
> domain if you are using non-public domain names.]

Thanks, I hadn't thought of using a non-existant top level domain. I've 
changed the hostname to daemon.foo.lan and now localhost.foo.lan resolves to as it should.
Unfortunately, I still get the same response form ntpq:
daemon:~ % sudo ntpq -p
ntpq: write to localhost.foo.lan failed: Permission denied
Even with my firewall disabled I get this response.

Ian Moore

GPG Key: http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/imoore/imoore.asc
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 187 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/attachments/20050122/e1596c66/attachment.bin

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list