300GIG SATA drives

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Fri Jan 21 00:55:18 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 02:42 -0600, Justin L. Boss wrote:
> Is anyone having problems with SATA drives? I keep getting DMA errors that
> lock up the system.

Assuming you are using FreeBSD 5.x then yes, this is a known problem,
there has been some traffic about this issue on this list in recent
months. I filed a pr about a specific case of this a few weeks ago but
it doesn't seem to have progressed.

I have to say I think it is a major problem. It's becoming increasingly
difficult to build FreeBSD machines with up to date commodity PC
motherboards and large storage drives. SATA drives above about 200GB
often seem to suffer from this bug under 5.x, so you need 4.x, which
doesn't work with all up-to-date motherboards. So what do you do?

Peter.