FreeBSD I LOVE YOU

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu Jan 20 22:20:25 PST 2005

David Gerard wrote:

> So something around 500MHz will happily run Pango and the other
> cutting-edge internationalisation stuff if you fill it with memory.

My experience is that with a 500Mhz Pentium 3 (512K cache, 512mb RAM,
Matrox G450 AGP graphics), Gnome (2.6 tested) is unbearably slow.  A
large factor here is the Xft font rendering (Ok, you could use xterm
instead of gnome-terminal, or switch off antialiasing), which is
unaccelerated (at least was then), and _brutally_ slow.  If you run
something with copious output in gnome-terminal, it'll more or less lock
up the entire machine.  I don't normally use Gnome, but evaluated it on
that old machine for some reason that is of no interest here.  KDE is a
bit faster, don't know why, but seems to use more RAM.  IMHO you need at
least a 2.8 or 3GHz P-IV for that kind of desktop to get things to run
well, and, in my experience, raw CPU power here is the dominating
factor.  Of course these machines are still perfectly usable with
windowmaker, or fvwm, or similar.

mkb.