FreeBSD I LOVE YOU

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Jan 20 05:55:54 PST 2005

Colin J. Raven wrote:

> Eh? Surely you don't meant trashed - physically annihilated?
> Phew! I believe in radical solutions certainly, but..umm..isn't that
> going just a little bit too far? :-)
> I'm assuming you mean destructively formatted...

You always have to classify the data and take appropriate measures, as
well as consider the costs of various methods of data destruction.

It may actually be cheaper to melt the disks and by new ones rather than
do a destructive format. Remember, if you have no trust relation with
the ones who receive the pc's then the trusted employee will most likely
be one from your organization and high paid.

It has happened that companies have shipped of a load of used pc's for
reuse in poor countries and then sensitive data has reappeared where it
shouldn't, causing more than just embarasment to the original owner.

If a harddisk contains sensitive information such as personal infor-
mation, information about your security infrastructure (passwords), or
other, then I would prefer a complete meltdown of the disk and recycle
it as scrap metal.

EOR
Erik
--