freebsd IT mailing list or newsgroup?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Jan 20 00:02:11 PST 2005

One big problem with this is that still, the majority of software
business apps are commercial packages, and the vendors of those
packages release their apps for platforms that they consider to
help them sell their software.

The Oracle story is a good example.  Back in 1999-2000, Oracle
actually completed a port of Oracle to FreeBSD.  But they never
released it, deciding that there was not enough market for
it.  Later they released it for Linux, but still, even today, many
companies that sell Oracle-related software still don't have
Linux ports.

Naturally, a lot of software that isn't really a corporate business
application (like a web server) is used by business and by
corporations.  But that is already covered plenty elsewhere.

Ted