Netscape7 and Mozilla

John E Hein jhein at timing.com
Tue Jan 18 20:01:54 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote at 16:58 -0800 on Jan 18, 2005:
 > On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:55:01PM -0300, E. J. Cerejo wrote:
 > > I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 and I would like run both of
 > > these browsers but it looks like the preferences
 > > folder causes some problems since one is a native
 > > freebsd port and the other is a linux port.
 >
 > Mozilla and netscape are different software, of course, though one is
 > based on the other.
 >
 > > I'm talking about the folder it creates in your home directory
 > > called .mozilla.  Is there a way of changing this folder to a
 > > different name?
 >
 > I don't think so.  They're probably not compatible anyway and will
 > just cause the browser to misbehave.

You could try looking in $PREFIX/lib/mozilla/mozilla.  It's a Bourne
shell script.  Look for the moz_pis_startstop_scripts function.  It
looks like there's a way to put S* start scripts in ~/.mozilla/init.d
which get sourced (look for the . "${curr_pis}").  You could override
the MOZ_PIS* env vars that get exported there to point to an alternate
.moz dir.  That might get you what you want if the binary obeys those
vars (I haven't searched the source).  I haven't tried it, but give it
a shot and report back on details and success or failure.