Keyboard not working under X.

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Jan 18 19:01:35 PST 2005

I'm running 5.3-STABLE, built from sources around Dec 17th. I had
things working fine with Xorg X, and was reasonably happy with
things. After updating ports, my keyboard quit working with
X. Checking the x.org bugs database, it turns out they are working
on a new keyboard driver, and a recent change had vanished the old
driver and made configurations that tried to use the old driver get
the new driver instead - and various reports of keyboards not working
properly with the new driver.

Figuring I was getting bit by one of the bugs in the new driver, I
decided to switch back to XFree86-4. It worked fine on 4.10 before I
upgraded, and I could live with it. Except that my keyboard no longer
works in X with XFree86, either. Not having X avaiable is becoming a
serious pain. I've attached config files, log files, and dmesg for
your perusal.

Any pointers on getting either one of these two X systems working
again would be greatly appreciated.

	Thanks,
	<mike