atapicam error message

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jan 18 11:25:03 PST 2005

"Galanaki, Dimitrios" <galanaki at mail.physics.uiuc.edu> writes:

> I am referring to the standard non-critical kernel error message:
>
> cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

Not only is it non-critical, it's not an error message.

> This occurs when one compiles the device atapicam to access the atapi CD
> through the SCSI interface.
>                             In addition to this message there is a very
> annoying 30 something second delay.

15 seconds, perhaps?  As in
options 	SCSI_DELAY=15000	# Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI

in the GENERIC kernel?

You can cut down that delay safely unless you have other, slow, SCSI devices.

> 1) Does anyone know the origin of this message?
> 2) How do I get rid of it without having to put a CD in the tray before a
> boot?

Why bother?  It's a boot-time informational message, and it's
correct.  There are lots of other messages about the state of the
system when you boot, too; I suppose it would be possible to come up
with a way to provide for a less verbose boot (the same way that you
can currently request a *more* verbose set of boot messages), but the
utility of such a "feature" is low enough that no one has been
inspired to provide it.