gmirror: replacing failed disks

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Mon Jan 17 19:54:28 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 11:14:48PM +0100, Christian Hiris wrote:
> On Sunday 16 January 2005 21:14, Doug Poland wrote:
> >
> > (My system has a provider gm0s1 with ad4 and ad6 as consumers, so
> > I'll use those device names)
> >
> > Simulate ad4 failing:
> >
> > pull the drive
> > put the drive back in, reboot if necessary to detect drive
>
> After you put the drive in, you can try to attach or reinit the
> controller channel where it's connected to with the command
> 'atacontrol'.

did that, atacontrol reinit 2, and the drive shows up, yee haw!

> If you put the same drive in, and you haven't zeroed the bootblocks
> and the slicetable (on ad4) geom will recognice that the missing disk
> has been re-attached and will start rebuilding.

That's not happening, gmirror says:

GEOM_MIRROR: Component ad4 (device gm0s1) broken, skipping.
GEOM_MIRROR: Cannot add disk ad4 to gm0s1 (error=22).

> If you want to simulate insertion of a blank disk, run the 'gmirror
> forget'

I'll try this after I've got the above working :)

Hey, thanks for all your help so far, I really appreciate it.

--
Regards,
Doug