5.3 Building Kernel/World

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Jan 16 22:05:12 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 09:51:13PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:
> The instructions for building world/kernel for 4.x are straight forward
> and work fine.  However, I seem to have munged two 5.3 installations
> now.  I have been through all the UPDATING notes and the handbook and
> something is obviously not clear.
>
> The approach I used is:
>
> Clean install from 5.3 distribution.
> make buildworld
> create new config file LAFN
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
> make installkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
> reboot
> make installworld
> reboot
>
> At that point It appeared I was using the LAFN kernel rather than
> generic.
>
> However, tonight I tried to make a new kernel.  NO go:
> ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
> config version = 500012, version required = 500013
>
> So I tried to reinstall the kernel:
> make installkernel KERNCONF=LAFN
> install -o root -g wheel -m 555   acpi.ko /boot/kernel
> install: acpi.ko: No such file or directory
>
> How are you supposed to build a new kernel that works?  How do I
> recover this?

The only way I can think for this to happen is if your source tree was
inconsistent (i.e. not completely updated), or you updated your
sources after you did the installworld, and the kernel depends on the
newer version of config than the one you have built (in this case the
'safe' buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel method you used to begin
with should still work).

Kris