Realplayer cannot find libraries, after upgrade from ports

nbco nbco at screaming.net
Sun Jan 16 12:23:56 PST 2005

On Sunday 16 January 2005 14:15, Rob Lahaye wrote:
> Rob Lahaye wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just upgraded all my software from recent ports.
> > Now realplayer (10.0.2_1) doesn't run anymore, because it cannot
> > find its libraries:
> >
> > $ ldd /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin | grep "not found"
> >         libX11.so.6 => not found
> >         libXrandr.so.2 => not found
> >         libXi.so.6 => not found
> >         libXext.so.6 => not found
> >         libXft.so.2 => not found
> >         libXrender.so.1 => not found
> >         libX11.so.6 => not found
> >         libXft.so.2 => not found
> >         libXrender.so.1 => not found
> >         libX11.so.6 => not found
> > $ ls /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
>
> Meanwhile I've solved the problem with a:
>
>  # portupgrade -frRv linux-realplayer-10.0.2_1

Hi,
It appears as though after the recent ports/emulators/linux_base version
bump ( see ports/UPDATING), that the Linux X11 libraries are not
appearing in /usr/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.cache.

realplayer was not the only affected port - acroread was also affected;
both are linux binaries which run under emulation.

Another fix is to do the following:
1) Add the following line to /usr/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf:
/usr/X11R6/lib
2) Re-run /usr/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig.

This will cause the runtime ELF linker cache for the Linuxolator to be
regenerated with the location of the Linux X11 libraries added to the
search path, and thus the libraries should then appear in the cache.

You should then be able to run acroread, realplayer etc. without further
problems, even after a reboot.