upgrading from 5.3 to current

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Sun Jan 16 06:06:09 PST 2005

> This is rather a nubee question..
>
> I am used to OBSD and how to update my sources...but seem to be
> missing something with FREEBSD.
>
> I installed 5.3 release and all I want to do now is update the source
> files on the disk to current.

Very easy, all explained in the handbook. If on Intel, cvsup is your
friend. Are you sure you'll want to install CURRENT, by the way? - In
the FreeBSD context CURRENT is more like development alpha version,
STABLE branch is more like beta, and RELENG branches are the bug and
security fix branches of the original release. All explained in the
handbook.

> Does someone have a web page that can show these steps?

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook, See chapter 19 and appendix A.

-Reko