this IMAP stuff is kicking my @$$...

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sat Jan 15 17:15:19 PST 2005

On Jan 15, 2005, at 7:06 PM, albi wrote:

> Eric F Crist wrote:
>
> hi,
>
>>> afair squirrelmail depends on Maildir-format mailboxes
>>>
>>> if you really want to use the UW-imap (i don't, i'm happily using
>>> courier-imap and squirrelmail since years), then try a webmail
>>> solution
>>> that works with mbox-format, i think neomail and openwebmail are some
>>> alternatives
>> Actually, I believe squirrelmail just depends on an imap server.
>
> first i thought you were right, and i though i'm some years behind (i
> read that squirrelmail depended on imap some years ago), maybe
> squirrelmail has changed,
>
> i looked up the requirements on the squirrelmail-page and saw that you
> were right, uw-imap is in the list of required imap-servers, however,
> i just read that uw-imap can do imap, and ...
> i know that converting mbox to maildir can be a lot of work, but if i
> were you i would test with a mbox-based webmail-solution, or... simply
> try the imap directly with a mailclient which supports imap and/or
> imap-ssl
>
>> I don't think it cares what (imap-uw is supported).  My issue resides
>> with the plain-text password issue.  As per instructions, I've
>> recompiled imap-uw to allow plain-text, or so I thought, and I still
>> get the errors.  I followed these instructions:
>> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/en_US/UWLoginDisabled and I'm
>> concerned with these messages in /var/log/auth.log:
>> Jan 14 20:15:20 grog imapd[19134]: Login disabled user=user auth=user
>> host=localhost [127.0.0.1]
>
> i have no idea, but i know one thing for sure, the error-message is
> -not - always showing the exact error
>
> error-messages are limited to what the programmer(s) made it to act
> like
>
> for example, i'm setting up a ftp-server, and in a bootup-script i had
> chmod 700 /home/ and i set /home/ftp to be the ftp-server base-dir
> from the log-files i could not find out that the permissions where
> wrong, it simply showed login-errors, and gave time-outs
>
> do you get my point ? i'm trying to say that perhaps squirrelmail
> still demands a maildir-based imap-server (i don't know whether that's
> true, google could not give me an answer to that within a reasonable
> time)
>
> anyway, i hope you get it working soonish!
>
> good luck!
>
> ciao,
> albi

Actually, I know the error is correct.  Actually, I know what I need to
do to fix this problem, it's just not working for me...  I've posted a
couple links that direct me in various ways regarding this error, but
my server won't accept plain-text logins.  Can't figure out how to get
it to do so.

thanks for your help
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson