make "make" quieter?

Haulmark, Chris chris at sigd.net
Sat Jan 15 10:27:30 PST 2005

Someone broke the silence:

> On Jan 15, 2005, at 1:05 AM, Scott Bennett wrote:
>
>>      You've tried "-s"?  And that was still too chatty?
>
> -s looks promising (d'oh, checked make.conf settings but not man
> page... far too late, must sleep)
>
> Actually the redirect works well, esp. now that someone explained the
> redirect (new to 'sudo' too)

If you are on a dialup connection like I am.  I just use screen (ports/misc/screen).

Create a new screen instance then do make install clean then hold down ctrl and hit D.

I would be deattached and it'll be compiling in the background.  When I want to check the status of
it, I would resume the screen.  Fairly simple.

Chris