Speed up dialin connection via proxy?

tjlists at tntluoma.com tjlists at tntluoma.com
Sat Jan 15 00:42:06 PST 2005

> Timothy Luoma wrote:
>>
>> I cannot get high speed internet access at home.  In fact, I can't get
>> more than about 26400 on my dialup.
>
> That sux

Yup, especially after several years of having cable access @ our previous
house/apartment.

>> Anything else I could do to speed things up?
>
> ISDN? Direct TV? Cable? DSL?

DSL = too far from the local hub

ISDN = doubtful

Cable = possibly this fall.  Our cable company was bought by a new company
which says that it is dedicated to expanding rural coverage (it ends about
a mile from our house, I think).

DirecTV = Had DirecWay installed for less than a month.  They wanted
$60/month, a Windows OS, no wireless (I understand that they have since
come out with a way to overcome those two limitations).. but the bottom
line is that it was really not much faster than dialup for regular
browsing.  For downloading a file, yes; but when you went somewhere like
Amazon.com with a lot of images and other external files, it really slowed
down (this was 2 way satellite, no phone line.  We had it uninstalled
before 30 days so we could get our money back ... except the $180
installation fee :-/