Thank you!

Freebsd0101 at aol.com Freebsd0101 at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 09:57:01 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/13/05 11:27:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr writes:
BS> Oh, but I do understand! FreeBSD is not good choice for companies
BS> that need support for the latest hardware.

>It's not a question of latest, it's a question of which hardware.
>FreeBSD, like all operating systems, targets a broad but not universal
>user base, and so the mix of hardware that it supports doesn't cover
>every conceivable device, although it will naturally overlap for the
>most part with any other OS.
>For example, given the predominance of FreeBSD as a heavy-duty server

------
You clearly haven't been paying attention....

The entire point of this extended discussion, for those who have paid
attention, is that FreeBSD 4.x, which is admittedly the fastest version
available, DOES NOT work with intel's fastest CPUs because it doesnt
support the necessary chipsets, AND, that freebsd "people" would
rather ridicule people that ask why than fix things.

So your claim that its a "heavy-duty server" platform is tainted by the
fact that in order to use the fastest server Mobos, you have to use the
slower,
still-under-development 5.x. Which seems counterproductive for an O/S
that is trying to establish itself as a choice as a server platform.