Trackball, extra buttons, and X - I've lost something

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Fri Jan 14 07:43:38 PST 2005

On 01/13/05 09:29 PM, Mark Beaver sat at the `puter and typed:
> I think it's not so much a setting in X. I think it's more that X simply
> doesn't have the software to support those extra buttons (wether it's the
> server or the wm of choice) that's got the lack I'm not sure.
>
> What I do know is that I can set this up fine using 4,5 as my ZAxisMapping,
> and leave xmodmap alone. The buttons get recognized, but as I stated, I
> don't think any of the current window managers have a "function" to allow
> for you to set something up for those input buttons. Good example:
>
> Set your Zaxis mapping to 6 7 then leave xmodmap at 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and the
> extra two buttons *should* control your scroll, and the mouse wheel should
> do nothing.

I have the ZAxis at 6 7, and xmodmap at 1 2 3 6 7 4 5, and I'm finally
getting some useable behavior.

The extra side buttons (one on the left, one or the right) are
behaving as forward/back controls in the browser, which was a pleasant
surprise.  The wheel works as a scroller should too.  The only problem
is that the side buttons and the scroller tend to pop up the Fvwm
builtin menu from the root window.  That's probably a problem for the
Fvwm list, since the buttons are being recognized by X now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Chemistry professors never die, they just fail to react.