How to use X without installing X?

Pietralla, Siegfried P siegfried.pietralla at eds.com
Thu Jan 13 14:27:05 PST 2005

hi ricky,

this is the way to go - you definitely don't need anything X related on the
server - I've just done this recently ( albeit with hpux and reflection X ).
the install notes should tell you what version of java you need and that
should help you fix up those errors. the font thing I can't help you with -
perhaps you just need to install a font with those properties? or make sure
all your fonts are on the right path / list / whatever ?

also, you could just use another X server - do you have a different working
unix workstation ( sgi, sun, hp, etc )? or even a p.c. running reflection X
or exceed. but note that I can't get cygwin to work for me - I only get
about a quarter of the initial installer screen to show up so I have to kill
it - although it's still worth a quick try if you have a windows box.

hth,
siegfried.