Memory Question

Gregor Mosheh stigmata_blackangel at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 12:28:07 PST 2005

> Is there something I can do in order to "optimize" -
> which in this case
> paradoxically would seem to mean "reduce" the amount
> of free memory?

The simple answer is: "Use it!" Exactly how depends on
what you're running. Basically, check the docs for all
the stuff your server is running and see what you can
do to throw more memory at it. A lot of software has
docs about performance tuning, and its memory usage
(and performance) can usually be cranked up.

If you're using a database server, check the DB's
config file (postgresql.conf or my.cnf) and allocate a
bunch of memory to buffers. If you're running Apache,
you can increase the spare servers; if your Apache
runs Perl CGI programs, you could consider using
mod_perl.