kernel panic booting 5.3 releng

Alex Shaw alex.shaw at bulletonline.com
Thu Jan 13 09:17:03 PST 2005

Hi,

Im experiancing a problem while updating my laptop to 5.3. I currently run 5.1-RELEASE version from a while back (should have updated a long time ago I know), on my Dell C840 Latitude. I followed the instructions on http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

cvsuping from the RELENG_5_3

At the point where I reboot into single user mode it all falls over. The new GENERIC kernel fails to boot, stopping after the memory detection with a kernel panic page fault 12.

The instruction pointer is 0x8:0xc0621604

Digging about I found the faq here

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/advanced.html#KERNEL-PANIC-TROUBLESHOOTING

After following the instructions and running the following

nm -n /boot/kernel/kernel | grep 06216

I get the following two functions returned

c0621664 t sysctl_bus
c0621688 t sysctl_devices

>From this information can anyone give me an idea of whats going wrong ?, or how/where I might go about fixing it ?. I have included the result of a boot attempt below.

real memory = 536748032 (511MB)
avail memory = 515559424 (491MB)
kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

fault virtual address 	= 0x696370
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc0621604
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc0c21d48
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc0c21d58
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= resume, 10PL=0
current process		= 0 (swapper)
trap number 		= 12
panic: page fault
uptime: 1s

I havent gone any further in the update process, as I can still boot my machine using the old kernel now saved to /boot/safe. I didnt want to run the install world if the new kernel wont boot, fearing it would update and overwrite crucial bits of the OS and prevent the laptop from booting the old kernel.

I'm lost really in where to go from here or what the best options are to try and get the machine updated correctly.

Thanks

Alex