Definitions of process states in top

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jan 13 08:38:17 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Is there someplace where I can find definitions of the process states
> that I see in the STATE column of top?  RUN and CPU1 are easy enough
> to figure out, but most of the rest are mysterious.

The states are scattered throughout the kernel:

sys/kern/kern_time.c:   error = tsleep(&nanowait, PWAIT | PCATCH, "nanslp",
src/sys/kern/tty.c:                                 "ttyin" : "ttyhup",
sys/kern/sys_pipe.c:                                "piperd", 0)) == 0)

...for a few common states (nanslp, ttyin, piperd).  Use a command like:

	find /usr/src/sys | xargs grep piperd

...and replace piperd with whatever state it is that you are curious about.

--
-Chuck