Apache Log Rotation & Statistics

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Wed Jan 12 20:29:51 PST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 5:03 PM, Gadi Golan wrote:

> Hi,
> What I am looking for here is some advice on what will be the best
> ways to acomplish what I have in mind.  What I hope to acomplish
> follows, so any thoughts on how to do it, or if it is complex or
> impossible would be very helpful.
>
> I have Apache 2.x running with a collection of virtual hosts, each
> logging to their own access.log file.  I want to offer log statistics
> to all of my virtual hosts on an individual basis.  I want them to be
> able to go to say log.theirdomain.com or www.theirdomain.com/log and
> be able to view the statistics for their site from day x, week y,
> month z, year k, whatever.  Ideally these logs will be stored
> compressed and in a directory specific to their virtual domain.
>
> I am sorry if I am not explaining this 100%, please feel free to ask
> me to clarify myself.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Gadi Golan

I would recommend webalizer in the ports.  If you read through the
documentation, you specify the logfile and destination of each run, so
you could have multiple configurations and cron jobs to compute the
stats for you.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  IIRC, you can see an
example at www.webalizer.org.

HTH
Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson