Hyperthreading hurts 5.3?

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 12 18:15:32 PST 2005

Olivier Nicole writes:

ON> Not always true, I had a P4 1.5 die on me for lack of fan.

I understood that all recent Intel processors will first slow the clock
and then halt completely if the die temperature rises too much, but
there may be exceptions (or perhaps some processors run so hot that they
will overheat without a fan even in the stopped state).

Did it start up when you replaced the fan, or was it gone for good?

In the case of my AMD processor, it reached a temperature of at least
110° C and still ran, but shortly thereafter a problem with memory
management developed and worsened rapidly until the processor was
completely dead.

ON> Now what was tha company selling a new box with no fan on the CPU is
ON> another story...

I thought all the boxed P4 processors came with their own fan, so there
should never be a case in which a PC is sold with a P4 but no CPU fan.

In any case, now that I've decided to build my own servers from now on,
there should be far fewer unpleasant surprises.

--
Anthony