Trouble starting MySQL [SOLVED?]

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Jan 12 07:29:51 PST 2005

> > /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql
> > mysql    1347  0.0  2.5 55852 25832  ??  S    11:26AM   0:00.14
> > /usr/local/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local --datadir=/var/
> > colin    1359  0.0  0.1  1476  896  p2  S+   11:26AM   0:00.00 grep
> > mysql
> >
> > Good, but I'm just puzzled why/how this worked from webmin. It doesn't
> > make sense. One thing, it started mysql as can be seen above from
> > /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe, which sure 'aint the script way.
> >
> > Then again, the "script way" from CLI didn't work.
> >
> > <sigh>
>

> I hear your frustration.  I was asking about this on Dec. 18, 2004
> and I did not get any answers.  Look at this:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-December/068425.html
>
> I am still confused about /usr/local/etc/rc.d vs /etc/rc.conf.
>
> Can anyone educate us how this works on FreeBSD 4.10?

The only thing you should possibly have in /etc/rc.conf or
maybe /etc/rc.conf.local are setting variables.  Most things do not
even need that.  Do not _execute_ anything from rc.conf for startups.

All startups should be in scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.   The main
startup executes every script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d that ends in '.sh'
and has execute permission set.   I think the order is alphabetic sort
order.   Make your script take a 'start' as its first argument.

Besides, most installs for ports put a usefully functioning xxx.sh
startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d when you do the install.  For
some you have to change the permissions to allow it to execute.
Check in the ports xxx.sh  script to see how it starts and if you
need to set any environment variables or change any addresses.

This is all well documented if you look.

////jerry