Hyperthreading hurts 5.3?

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 21:02:39 PST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:52:11 -0500, Timothy Luoma <lists at tntluoma.com> wrote:

> sorry to be dense, but which should be enough, BIOS or conf file?
>
> is the default to use or not use hyperthreading in the kernel/conf?

By default the system will detect a HTT processor, but can only launch
the second 'virtual' CPU core if you recompile the kernel with the SMP
option enabled.

I'm personally unclear why it'd be necessary to disable HTT in the
BIOS if you're using a non-SMP kernel on a uniproc box.

I'm experiencing some strangeness with a uniproc HTT-capable machine
and SATA with either SMP or non-SMP kernels, so I'll try turning off
HTT in the BIOS later this week and see if that helps.

Bryan