Hyperthreading hurts 5.3?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jan 11 19:19:04 PST 2005

David Kelly wrote:
>> (disabling HT will apparently mean I have to reinstall XP on the other
>> drive.
>
> What does XP have to do with it? IIRC on Dell its F2 during the power-on
> diagnostics to reach the built-in BIOS config. That is where HT is to be
> disabled.

If you install and configure many flavors of Windows on a SMP system, that
installation will not work if you move that image to a uni-proc system by
swapping disks or otherwise removing CPU's (ie, by turning off HT'ing).  I
last saw this with a Win2K system, which immediately blue-screened with an
"invalid SMP HAL" error very early in the boot.

[ It doesn't surprise me that one would want or have to reinstall XP after
disabling HyperThreading.  There exist even less comprehensible reasons which
oblige people to reinstall Windows.... ]

--
-Chuck