NFS & File Locking on FBSD 5.3

Gerard Samuel fbsd-questions at trini0.org
Tue Jan 11 13:33:28 PST 2005

Erik Norgaard wrote:

> Gerard Samuel wrote:

>>> Whats needed to enable file locking on FBSD 5.3?
>>> I already had NFS running, so I added this to the
>>> server's rc.conf file ->
>>> rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
>>> and rebooted.
>>

>> I just noticed this in the logs ->
>> Jan 11 15:23:37 hivemind rpcbind: cannot create socket for udp6
>> Jan 11 15:23:38 hivemind rpc.lockd: 100024 RPC: Program not registered
>>
>> I've googled a bit, and Im coming up with references that
>> IP6 doesn't have to built into the kernel, of which I do not have it
>> built in the kernel anyway.
>> Im not sure of what else to do to get lockd running.
>

> Well, I guess google haven't searched the archives resently. I wrote
> just yesterday (NFS export of evolution-thread) that you need to
> enable statd _and_ lockd. lockd will not start without statd enabled.
> You don't need to reboot, just
>
> /etc/rc.d/nfslocking restart

Thanks for the tip.  It seems to be running now.
$ ps aux | grep lockd
root      361  0.0  0.2  1632 1292  ??  Ss    4:23PM   0:00.01
/usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
daemon    372  0.0  0.2  1632 1292  ??  S     4:23PM   0:00.00
/usr/sbin/rpc.lockd

>> rpcbind_enable="YES"
>> nfs_server_enable="YES"
>> mountd_flags="-r"
>> rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
>

> I don't see you have enabled mountd, but you had nfs running and
> mounted succesfully? - or maybe just a typo copy/paste?

The config is correct, according to the manual.
Never had a problem with it (knocks on wood)
Now to go test if php will work now...