Which OS should we use?

Tim Aslat tim at spyderweb.com.au
Tue Jan 11 13:31:44 PST 2005

In the immortal words of Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu>...
> We're getting ready to create some new servers from scratch
> (format/install).  We've been using 4.9 and 4.10 for a while now with
> no problems.  We've got one 5.3 box setup for test purposes.
>
> On this list I have seen comments about instability issues in 5.3.
> These servers need to be stable.  Should we install 4.10/11?  Or move
> up to 5.3?

Personally, I would consider moving to the 5.x branch as it has now been
declared to be the "Stable" branch, and the 4.x versions won't be
supported much longer.  I've set up several servers using 5.3 and they
seem reasonably stable.

I'm now in the process of upgrading one of my older servers to 5.3 from
4.8.

Of course, others may have different ideas, but in the end, if the test
server you set up works like it should, what reason do you have for not
using it?

Cheers

Tim

--