bash version?

Duane Winner dwinner-lists at att.net
Tue Jan 11 10:33:20 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:00:52AM -0500, Duane Winner wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I use bash instead of the default csh shell that is part of FreeBSD world.
>>
>>I am revising my in-house installation manual for FreeBSD 5.3, and it
>>just came my attention that there is (actually has been I guess) bash
>>version 3 available as a port.
>>
>>But FreeBSD appears to want to use 2.05b as the default.
>>

>FreeBSD uses whatever version of bash you tell it to (none are used
>"by default").  bash 1.x, 2.x and 3.x are available in the ports tree.

If you install from port, then yes, all three are available and you have
to choose. But up until now, we have always installed bash (and emacs)
as "additional packages" during the initial CD installation, and it was
always version 2.05 that ended up being installed.

I'm changing our procedures so that we have "cleaner" installations, and
not installing bash or emacs during the install anymore, but rather as
the first ports we install after a our intial cvsup, in an effort to get
rid of dependency conflicts (primarly expat) that need special
instructions. That's when I discovered that there was a version 3 of
bash available.