libintl.so.5 issue when installing logrotate

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Tue Jan 11 02:53:58 PST 2005

Hi,

I ran into a rather funny issue (fbsd 5.3-release, i386).

I have an updated ports tree (that is: twice per week cron updates it
using cvsup).

Now, I tried installing /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate (make install)

O.k., it failed, mentioning that it required gettext version 0.13 or higher.

No problem, just install that, right?
O.k., so I installed /usr/ports/devel/gettext (make deinstall, make
reinstall)

All fine so far (it installef version 0.14.1).

Then I tried again to make install the /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate
and again it failed, this time the error is:
[...]
===>  Building for logrotate-3.7_3
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found

Hmmm, no what can that be?
A quick look-up on Google shows:
http://tomster.org/geek/freebsdcookbook/tidbits/gettextupgrade

Nice, a "chicken and the egg" problem: logrotate requires gettext 0.13
or higher, but when installing that, apparently out goes a required
library! Duh!

The same page mentions the following:
"The solution is to force the upgrade of the already currently installed
version of gettext (by using the -f option) and doing the upgrade
recursively (by using the -r option)."

I guess this means doing a pkg_add -f -r <gettextpkg> as opposed to
"make install-ing" the port, right?

Now, before doing this (and possibly messing up the installation by
doing a force install), has anyone already done this, and is this really
the best solution?

Tnx and cheerz,
Olafo