Need Guidance in my Internet Connection Sharing configuration

John john at starfire.mn.org
Mon Jan 10 19:03:42 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:15:03AM +0000, Srot BULL wrote:

If you are getting DHCP from your aDSL modem, it is very likely that
it is already doing NAT for you (and firewalling).  Doing NAT upon
NAT is probably not productive.  If you are getting an RFC1597
private (non-routed) address, this is certainly the case.  Otherwise,
try logging in to your aDSL (the provided documentation should
tell you how) and see if it doesn't have NAT settings.

If my suspicion is correct, then you simply need to connect a switch
or hub between your aDSL modem and your computers.  Just be aware,
many aDSL modems come configured with a very small DHCP pool
(often just 2 or 4 addresses), so you may have to expand that
(again, by logging in to the administrative function of your
aDSL modem, hopefully through a web browser, though some require
an [often Windows-only] custom application).

> Thank you for the immediate response
>
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 18:56 -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> > Srot BULL wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> > > By the way, since this is my first try in Internet Connection
> > > Sharing...I am not that sure with my cable connections...
> > > My internal LAN Card "bge0" is connected to my ADSL Modem while my other
> > > externel USB LAN Card "aue0" is connected to my switching hub...and the
> > > other PC that I have is also connected to the hub...Is this O.K.?
> >
> > Your aDSL provider may not be giving you direct IP connectivity, but instead
> > require you to configure PPPoE access via a username/password.
> My connection is simple, I just connect my ethernet cable to my aDSL
> broadband modem and then dhcp-client gets the necessary information for
> my system to connect to the internet...I think my username/password is
> already in my aDSL modem...
> Well, does this mean that I will not be able to share my internet
> connection at home?...not a big problem though but it hurts!...I can
> still just remove and insert the LAN cable to which PC I want to use and
> get connected immediately...I only wanted to learn how to configure how
> to share internet connection in LAN...and of course brag to my
> girlfriend that my FreeBSD is simple and powerful than her MS
> $...Hehehe...
> Maybe I should be consulting my ISP for this one?  Pay some bucks for
> internet connection sharing?
> By the way, is my system clock wrong or yours?
> Once again thank you for the response and hope for other
> assistance/information in the future...
>
> Srot BULL

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG