building a package without installing it

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jan 10 14:43:31 PST 2005

daniel quinn wrote:
> On January 10, 2005 05:17 pm, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>>If the port is allready installed try:
>>   pkg_create -b {name of installed port as listed under /var/db/pkg}
>
> cool, thanks
> and what if i don't want it installed on this machine?  if i just want to
> build it here for use elsewhere?

You could set up a jail and chroot into that before building the port, if you
really want to keep your base system untouched.  The pointyhat cluster used to
build packages for the FTP servers does roughly this in order to provide a
clean environment for testing.

I suppose you could also just do a "make" on the build machine, then scp -r or
rsync the work subdirectory of the port to the machine you want to install on,
and then finish by doing the "make install" on that target machine.  So long
as all of the dependencies are up-to-date, anyway...

--
-Chuck