I quit

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jan 10 09:12:09 PST 2005

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:01:26 -0600 David Kelly <dkelly at HiWAAY.net>
> wrote:
[ ... ]
>      That may be true.  I don't really know because I haven't looked at
> Darwin source.  However, essentially everything in NextStep above the
> kernel that was not part of the OOPS was taken directly from 4.3BSD.

...or from the FSF, or from Sun, or from CMU, or from MIT, or from Adobe,
depending.

Almost all of the compiler toolchain was GNU, Sun provided minor things like
NFS, NIS, and RPC, CMU provided Mach itself, and together with MIT provided
AFS and X11, Adobe provided PostScript, fonts & font management, and DPS.

>>BSD tradition Apple freely picked from here and there, whatever they
>>thought best, and made what can only be said to be their own.
>
>      Keep in mind that Mach 2.x *was* a heavily modified 4.3BSD kernel.
> Mach 3.x and later is not.

The NeXT Mach 2.5 kernel was not a modified BSD kernel.

It was a monolithic kernel which supported dynamic loading of kernel objects,
Mach messaging and exception handling (rather than BSD signals, which were
emulated for BSD compatibility purposes), SMP & NUMA aSMP, and an integrated
task/thread paradigm unrelated to normal BSD process semantics, etc.

--
-Chuck