AGP not working on nForce3

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Mon Jan 10 07:22:03 PST 2005

On 01/10/05 12:52 PM, Mats Kristoffersen sat at the `puter and typed:

> > Try adding this:
> >         Option "RenderAccel" "True"
> >
> > Lou
>
> No luck. I still get the
>
> NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the AMD CPU and OS kernel
> NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended.
>
> messages, and the hw.nvidia.agp.status.* oids don't exist.
>
> I use xorg-server 6.8.1 from packages (as the server crashes when I run
> opengl apps if I compile from ports). The rest of the xorg components
> are from ports. I'll try installing xorg-libraries from packages too, to
> see if it helps.

I don't have trouble with OpenGL apps, and I'm running all the Xorg
stuff from ports (same version).

You know, there was a thread related to this same AGP problem back on
11/30, pretty much throught the first week in December.  I was
convinced my AGP was working until Kenneth Culver showed me I didn't.
There were a number of people that had it working, and several that
didn't.  I don't think we ever figured out just what the magic sword
was.  Check the list archives for that thread.  Maybe you'll find
something I missed.

I did have the nvidia drivers compiled without linux support, not sure
if that was a factor.

Have you read the linux compatability support section in
/usr/X11R6/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README?  You might check it out to
see if all your i's are dotted.

I really hate to say it, but I'm pretty much out of ideas at this
point.  It may be a day or so, but I'll try recompiling my drivers
with Linux support and see if that breaks it.  Either way I'll let you
know.

If you figure out what the magic sword is, let the list know.  This
has come up once or twice in the past, and there's always one or two
that just don't get the results they wanted.

Good luck.
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Fame is a vapor; popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is
oblivion.
    -- Mark Twain