FreeBSD 5.2 RELENG source fails to build

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Jan 9 20:26:18 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:57:17PM -0800, Joe wrote:
> Hello,
>     I am running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and tried to cvsup the source
> code for 5.3.
>
>    First I am able to build 5.2.1 source code with no problems
> using make buildworld.
>
>     When I cvsup 5.3 using the cvsup file below, it fails to
> build.
>
>     *default host=cvsup6.freebsd.org
>     *default base=/usr
>     *default prefix=/usr
>     *default release=cvs
>     *default delete use-rel-suffix
>     *default tag=RELENG_5_3
>     *default compress
> # this is all that is needed for the base system
>     src-all
>     ports-all tag=.
>

>     The first error that I get is about getopt.h missing from
> contrib in several directories.  I copy getopt.h from
> /usr/include, then I get a message about bconfig.h missing from
> the contrib source code as well.

Show us the exact errors and commands you're using; we can't read
minds.

>     Is there something else I need to get for 5.3 source that is
> not needed in 5.2?  Or is this a bug that should be / has been
> filed?

Depend on how you installed and updated your source code (i.e. if you
installed from the installation media and then updated to a later
version with cvsup without first 'adopting' your source code as
described in the cvsup FAQ on www.polstra.com), it's possible you have
extra files left behind that should not be there.

Kris