I quit

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Jan 9 14:14:49 PST 2005

A couple misconceptions I would like to clear up (some I may have created):

1) FreeBSD isn't really targeted anywhere, because targeting implies there's
a marketing department out there listening to customer feedback and
telling the software developers what to write.  It is liked by sysadmins
mainly because sysadmins and developers work on it -
but there really isn't anyone in the FreeBSD development group
sitting around deliberately making FreeBSD difficult for the new
user to use.

2) On request I can preconfigure a FreeBSD system for a business to
be EXACTLY targeted to JUST what the business wants their employees
to be running.  So can any good FreeBSD admin.  Thus, the possibility
always exists that some 3rd party can come between the raw ISO's and
a "mass market" end user and set it up for the mass market.  Nothing in
the OS exists that makes this impossible.

The fact that many people have already done this with Linux somewhat
precludes
this from happening, though.

Ted