mkisofs and growisofs

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Sun Jan 9 10:52:19 PST 2005

On 01/09/05 12:24 PM, Mike Jeays sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 11:35, Tom Vilot wrote:
> > Mike Jeays wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks very much.  They both installed fine once I was told where they
> > >are!
> > >

> > My avenue of last resort is this:
> >
> > cd /usr/ports
> > find . -type f -name pkg-descr | xargs grep -i <name>
> >
> > where <name> is what I remember the program name to be (cdrecord, etc)
> >
> > Also kinda handy if you have no idea what the name is but you know you
> > want something like, say, "audio compression":
> >
> > cd /usr/ports/audio
> > find . -type f -name pkg-descr | xargs grep -i compres
>
> I tried 'find /usr/ports -name "mkiso*"' before submitting my question.
> It yielded nothing because mkisofs is 'hidden' inside cdrtools. I guess
> I ought to have known this, as I have used if for a couple of years, but
> I had forgotten.

A more typical search is:
cd /usr/ports
make search key=mkiso

This may or may not yield anything useful.  I tend to use the Jeffrey
Friedl search tool, which is a much faster implementation of the
find . -type f -name pkg-descr | xargs grep -i <name>
method.

Many people will recognize his name.  He literally wrote the book on
regular expressions.  This tool is probably the one I use more than
any other when looking for something.  Second thing I use when I know
all or part of the file name is locate(1).

I found it some 5 or 6 years ago - Jeffrey wrote it in 1994, and I
have (fortunately) been able to hang on to it ever since.  The license
is open:
## Jeffrey Friedl (jfriedl at yahoo.com), Dec 1994.
## Copyright 19.... ah hell, just take it.

Good man, that Jeffrey.

I haven't been able to find any definitive update, but it hasn't
required any more modification than the perl path over the years.

I'll put my copy at the following URL for a while in case anyone wants
it: http://ww2.keyslapper.org/search

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

It is fruitless:
  to attempt to indoctrinate a superannuated canine with
  innovative maneuvers.  (you can't teach an old dog new tricks)