In reference to the "Cheap NAS" inquiry....

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Jan 9 02:53:47 PST 2005

Martes,

  You will have a lot better luck buying a used US Robotics HyperARC or
some such to use as a terminal (modem) server.  These take a PRI which
allows you to serve 56K.

  If you only have need of a few ports, buy something like a
Perle 8331S Access server
http://www.perle.com/products/prod_family/access_servers/833_is.html

or a CommPlete 4000 server
http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/CommPlete4000/

which you can sometimes find used ones like here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1484&item=5740567438&
rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

These devices take ISDN BRIs and allow V.90 dialin to them.  And since
they have no moving parts they are much more robust than any PC solution.

Ted