Freebsd 5.3 Performance

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 9 01:53:15 PST 2005

Mark writes:

M> Ah, this point fascinates me. Running for years? Do you ever have
M> to recompile your kernel? :)

Usually once when I first install the OS, then never again (unless I
change something in the hardware, which I hardly ever do).  Windows
often has to be rebooted just to install a new application (although
that's a problem with the application, not a problem with the OS, in
most cases).

But neither FreeBSD nor NT-based versions of Windows (which includes XP)
crash on their own in the absence of hardware problems or buggy,
privileged, third-party code (I'm thinking specifically of Windows
device drivers here).

--
Anthony