Makefile correction?

Aaron Myles Landwehr aaron at snaphat.com
Sat Jan 8 19:00:59 PST 2005

Sean wrote:

> Thanks Aaron,
>
> That did the trick.
> Questions however.
> The DISTFILES= statement you added is obviously different from the
> DISTFILES+= in the (WITH_OPENING_BOOK) section.
> Does the + symbol just mean in addition to the main file?

Welcome Sean,

I believe the '=+' symbol means an addition to the current distfiles. If
there are multiple files than all of the distfiles need to be
specified(including the main one). When WITH_OPENING_BOOKS is defined
that makes multiple distfiles, because of the specific package required
by opening books.

> I am guessing if I am correct in the + comment above that an
> 'EXTRACT_ONLY" statement is not needed because it is an additional
> file to the main?

The statement is needed, because EXTRACT_ONLY is telling 'make' to only
attempt to extract the specified files. The second distfile isn't
suppose to be unzipped; which, brings me to a certain realization that
the EXTRACT_ONLY statement should be in the WITH_OPENING_BOOKS section;
as it is only relevant when there are mulitple distfiles.

I did a bit more research and realized my modification does not pass
through 'portlint' without warnings; as the DISTFILES statement should
not be used when only one distfile is needed(this occurs when
WITH_OPENING_BOOKS is not used). I came up with a solution that passes
through 'portlint' with flying colors. Just add:
DISTFILES+=     ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX}
to the WITH_OPENING_BOOKS section. I'll send this to the maintainer as well.

> Looking at another Makefile, the gcompris2 one to be exact, I do not see
> an EXTRACT_ONLY line. I looked at two others and they also do not have
> an EXTRACT_ONLY line.
> This statement is only needed in certain circumstances, or there is
> more then one way to do the same thing?

You are correct, the statement is only needed if one or more distfiles
does not need to be unzipped.
-Aaron Myles Landwehr