Writing speed impact on writing quality (was: Please help: burncd errors)

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Sat Jan 8 07:51:00 PST 2005

On Sunday 02 January 2005 14:48, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> Fabian Keil wrote:
>

> >"Low speed == better quality" is a myth
> >

> why so?

Because writing quality is affected by several factors,
not just speed. Most of the time, bad writing quality is
a sign of missing compatibility between drive and media.

There might be some cases where a drive produces
better quality at lower writing speed, but if it does,
the firmware is crap and OPC (optimum power calibration)
isn't working. With low quality firmware you can have the
different affect as well, so this doesn't mean anything.

While comparing the writing quality of a LiteOn LTR-48125W
and a Plextor PlexWriter Premium, I did some C1-Scans.
I used different media and writing speed.

The results show, that as long as you stick with good media,
the writing quality is not affected by the writing speed.

Have a look at
<http://www.fabiankeil.de/c1-scans-mit-cd-doctor/liteon-ltr-48125w.html>
and
<http://www.fabiankeil.de/c1-scans-mit-cd-doctor/plextor-plexwriter-premium.html>.
The pages are in German, but as they aren't commented yet,
it shouldn't matter ;-).

"Rohling" means "label of the media",
"Hersteller" means "manufacturer of the media",
"Freigabe" is how fast you should burn the media
at maximum if you listen to it's label,
"Gewählt" is the speed I have chosen,
in the "Bild" column you find links to the graphical
results. The rest of the table head allready is in English.

HTH
Fabian