traffic counting

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Fri Jan 7 22:30:41 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:43:55PM +0500, Alexandr Lookoshkoff wrote:

>   How to make such thing as traffic counting?
>
>   There is a gateway (with NAT) and a local network. Every month
>   i must send a report how many traffic get everybody.
>
>   What tool can help me with it?

There's a hack I use that's detailed here:

http://ipfwstats.sf.net/

essentially a shell rc script runs at boot time to create an ipfw
'count' rule for each user on the server.  The counts are then collected
via cron at the end of each day and dropped into a mysql db.  The db can
then be queried by a php script from a web server to display statistics
to the end user/admin/etc.  Fairly simple but worked for me at the time.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/