Webmail Frontend to mailboxes.
tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Jan 7 22:18:35 PST 2005
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Peter Risdon [mailto:peter at circlesquared.com]
> Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 2:17 AM
> To: Colin J. Raven
> Cc: Ted Mittelstaedt; FreeBSD Questions
> Subject: RE: Webmail Frontend to mailboxes.
> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 11:12 +0100, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> > On Jan 7 at 09:41, Peter Risdon launched this into the bitstream:
> > > On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 09:59 +0100, Colin J. Raven wrote:
> > >> On Jan 6 at 21:41, Ted Mittelstaedt launched this into the bitstream:
> > >>
> > >>> Use IMP.
> > Now you mention it, I seem to recall a shedload of issues if you had to
> > download the source and build it by hand. There were definite
> gotchas in
> > that process I believe.
> How so? It's PHP. There's nothing to build.
There were a number of gotchas that were serious EARLIER ON.
Here's a list of the ones I ran into:
1) The versions of IMP and Horde in the ports tree were old and had
security holes thus had to be scratched
2) X Windows is a dependency on one of the subsidiary programs so you
have to plan your disk partition strategy.
3) IMP's config file used the name wvHtml for the MS Word viewer and
first time I ran across this I spent at least an hour finding out that
this program had been renamed "wv" (wv requires imagemagic which
requires X and a great many other programs)
4) IMP looks for user programs (like ispell) in /usr/bin not /usr/local/bin
5) many issues with getting Apache mod-SSL running properly with a
key (you have to generate it manually with openssl, the apache docs that
say use make key or whatnot don't work)
6) There's no list anywhere of what drivers in php IMP needs you have to
7) Using a different imap server than uw-imap might cause trouble with php,
as that port installs the uw-imap client libraries.
8) All kinds of dumb-ass file naming issues with default config files from
when php went to php4. (ie: .php3 to .php)
9) uw-imap that ports installs was old and had security hole
10) php.ini and local.inc in phplib supplied by Horde has wrong pathnames in
11) php.ini doesen't have extension-imap.so and mysql.so in it
12) Not clear that dirs horde-1.2.3 and imp-2.2.3 need to be renamed
horde and imp
13) - the instructions place phplib into the document root, and local.inc is
in there, so a command like:
Will open up the local.inc file in all its glory. You can
you can move phplib from /usr/local/www/htdocs/horde/phplib to
/usr/local/www/phplib and change all the references to point to there.
Most of these are due to misinterpretaitons of the install docs, which
exist because the install docs were written by someone who thinks that
concise writing is a good thing with instructions.
More information about the freebsd-questions