SCSI HD issue ...

Tom Vilot tom at vilot.com
Fri Jan 7 09:36:57 PST 2005

Picking up on that SCSI hardware problem I posted about earlier ...

I'm in the process of installing a second HD which will,
hopefully, be the replacement for the one I believe is flaky.

I've installed the second drive. I used dd to copy over
to each partition (Yes, I know this is not the right way
to do that ... I'll be using dump or tar next time.
Thanks to Subhro for pointing that out...)

However ... Now I have the following situation:

da2 is the "bad" disc that I am  still using.
da0 is going to be the new disc.

Somehow, I have managed to replace da2s1a with
da0s1a as the / partition:

/dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/da2s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da2s1f on /usr (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da2s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
/dev/ad0 on /usr/share/archive (ufs, NFS exported, local)

I'm not sure how to put it back.

My fstab is:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/da2s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/da2s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/da2s1e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/da2s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/da2s1d             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/acd1               /dvdram         ufs     rw,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
/dev/ad0                /usr/share/archive      ufs     rw      0       0

I'm guessing I need to configure the boot loader ....
but I'm a little unclear on how I do that.