Problem when SSH-ing to FreeBSD 5.3 using PuTTY?

Jon Krause data2 at cablespeed.com
Fri Jan 7 06:39:01 PST 2005

From: Olafo

: Hi all,
:
: On two distinct machines (both running FreeBSD 5.3 release, one is the
: AMD-64 version, the other is the i386 version) I am experiencing
: problems when trying to SSH to the machine using PuTTY.
:
: PuTTY shows the login prompt just fine, but when entering the proper
: username/password (yes, I am positive I typed it correctly -multiple
: times, in fact- :) ). Yet, for some reason this combination does not
: seem to get accepted.
:
: Does anyone know the reason for this (note: I am not starting the SSH
: daemon from inetd)? Is there perhaps some (new) setting that changed
: between 5.2.1 and 5.3 that causes this, or am I doing something else
: terribly wrong? :)
:
: Thanks in advance for any answers, and cheers!
: Olafo
:

Olafo,
You did not state the version of Putty you are using.
Try the latest version, (release 0.56) I beleive.
There was a problem in earlier versions of Putty with keyboard-interactive
method of authentication.

Best, Jon