Webmail Frontend to mailboxes.

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Fri Jan 7 02:12:49 PST 2005

On Jan 7 at 09:41, Peter Risdon launched this into the bitstream:

> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 09:59 +0100, Colin J. Raven wrote:
>> On Jan 6 at 21:41, Ted Mittelstaedt launched this into the bitstream:
>>
>>> Use IMP.  Of course, some people pooh-pooh it saying it's hard
>>> to setup.  However, IMP is one of those programs that is worth
>>> the effort, as if you install the entire suite of programs you
>>> have a very powerful front end mail system.
>>>

>> I *gather* (not in front of a FreeBSD box at this moment) that IMP is
>> *not* in ports, otherwise (surely) installation wouldn't be *that*
>> complex? Configging maybe, but install-wise ports 'apps just; "slide
>> right in there" - usually :-)
>
> I'm baffled by all this. IMP is easy to install and set up. It is in the
> ports tree, together with several other useful horde components:
>
>> From /usr/ports/www/horde2/pkg-descr:
>
> Horde is used by these ports: mail/imp3, mail/turba, devel/chora,
> deskutils/kronolith, deskutils/nag, www/jonah, net/nic, devel/whups,
> and deskutils/mnemo
>
> Horde applications have an intuitive folder structure, clearly
> identified config files and, the dozen or so times I've had to set this
> up, it's always just worked first time.

I think the difficulties arise where there is no application
distribution mechanism such as ports.

Now you mention it, I seem to recall a shedload of issues if you had to
download the source and build it by hand. There were definite gotchas in
that process I believe.